Baldur’s Gate 3 has many possible companions to take on the player’s journey with them.
Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Shadowheart Build
Shdowheart is a great healer and addition to the player’s party in BG3.
One such character is Gale, a magic prodigy that the player can make great use of in BG3.
Who Is Gale And Where To Recruit Him?
Gale is one of Baldur’s Gate 3’s origin characters and can therefore be used by the player if they desire. If the player does not want to play as Gale, he can still be recruited fairly early on in Act 1 of the game.
After the crash of the ship on the Ravaged Beach, the player should head towards the waypoint located at the Roadside Cliffs, close to where the player fought some intellect Devourers. Once there, the player simply has to interact with the waypoint to rescue Gale who is stuck in there. Once he’s out, he will join the player.
After playing with Gale for some time, he will come to ask the player if they can give him magical items to consume. While this can be frustrating, it can definitely be worth helping him to advance his quest.
“Gale has one ambition: to become the greatest wizard Faerûn has ever known. Yet his thirst for magic led to disaster. A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city. Gale is confident he’ll overcome it, but time is not on his side.”
Gale is a magic prodigy. He is a human and is part of the Wizard class. The Wizard class definitely highlights his magical expertise and talent as he will probably be the best magic user the player has.
His background is that of the Sage, which compliments his Wizard class perfectly. The Sage background will grant him proficiencies in Arcana and History. Besides that, he also has proficiencies in Investigation, Insight, and Persuasion.
When it comes to his stats, here’s what to expect from Gale:
Best Gale Build
It is best to stick with just the Wizard class for Gale, unless the player wants to delve into multiclassing.
The Wizard class is a bit special as it allows Gale to unlock new spells by simply using scrolls and gold, unlike other classes where the player must level up to unlock any kind of spell. The player should give any scroll available to learn from to Gale instead of using it one time. If the player doesn’t have many scrolls to give to Gale, they should definitely look into stealing or buying some, as they can definitely be game-changers.
When it comes to Wizards at level 1, Gale will unlock Wizard spellcasting and Arcane Recovery.
At level 2, the player can finally pick which Wizarding School they want Gale to be a part of. The player will have the option to choose between these: Abjuration, Evocation, Necromancy, Conjuration, Enchantment, Divination, Illusion, or Transmutation.
Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Halsin Build
Halsin is a powerful druid the player will meet in BG3.
While there are many good options out of these, the best to work with will be the Evocation school, the Abjuration School, or the Divination School.
Each school will make it cheaper to learn its spells if you choose it. Evocation spells focus on elemental attacks that can be quite destructive. Abjuration spells are quite useful for protection and support. Divination spells help the player with their attacks and give them insight, but this school does not have many spells.
Overall, the best subclass depends on what the player is going for, however, Evocation will be the main focus as this school has many spells the player can make use of and it makes Gale a huge asset.
When the player picks the Evocation Class, they will unlock Evocation Savant, cutting the cost of learning Evocation spells in half. Gale will also learn Sculpt Spells, which will allow him to create safety pockets where allies can succeed with their saving throws.
At levels 4, 8, and 12, Gale will have to pick some feats. Here are some good options for him:
- Resilient. This will allow the player to increase one of Gale’s abilities by 1 and consequently become proficient in that ability’s saving throw. Since Wizards already have saving throws in Intelligence and Wisdom, the player should consider choosing Constitution or Dexterity.
- Tough. Gale is a glass cannon and can be easily taken down, so increasing his hit points is important. Tough will increase his HP by 2 for every level up.
- Moderately Armored. Being a human, Gale has Civil Militia, which grants him proficiency with light armor and shield. With moderately armored, Gale can get better defense. His Strength and Dexterity also increased by 1.
At level 6, Gale will unlock Potent cantrip. This will make his cantrips even harder to escape from for enemies. Even if an enemy succeeds in their saving throw, they will still take half the damage.
At level 10, Gale will be able to make use of the subclass feature Empowered Evocation. This will allow Gale to add to damage rolls his intelligence modifier. This is usable for any spell from the Evocation school.
The best part of being a Wizard is that the player is not limited to spells that they pick during level-up. Indeed, the player can prepare spells before combat and pick any of the spells they have, unlike most other classes which have to wait for leveling up. This means the player can experiment with all the spells they have and see which fits their playstyle the best with no restrictions.
Best Items For Gale
As with any build, it’s essential to pick good items to give to the character to exploit their full potential. When it comes to Gale, here are some great items to consider equipping him:
- Melf’s First Staff. This uncommon staff can be found in the Underdark during the game’s Act 1. It can cause 1d8 (1d6) bludgeoning damage. It grants Gale Arcane Enchantment, giving him a +1 bonus on spell attack rolls and spell save DC. It also grants Melf’s Acid Arrow once per long rest.
- Amulet Of Misty Step. This uncommon amulet can be extremely useful early game as it gives Gale a level 2 conjuration spell – Misty Steps. This can be useful during combat if Gale has to get to safety.
- The Protecty Sparkswall. This rare piece of clothing will be very useful for a Wizard such as Gale. It will increase his Spell Save DC by 1. It also gives the player an extra +1 to Armour Class and saving throws if they have lightning charges.
- Quickspell Gloves. These very rare gloves can be bought in the Sorcerous Sundries. Instead of using an action to cast a cantrip, Gale can now use a bonus action instead.
- Markoheshkir. This legendary staff will grant Gale Arcane enchantment as well as Arcane Battery. He’ll also have access to Kereska’s favor.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is now available to play on PC, Xbox and PlayStation 5.
Baldur’s Gate 3
- How Long To Beat
- 30 Hours
Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Lae’zel Build
Lae’zel is a powerful companion that players would do well to use at her full potential.