Here’s everything you need to know to find and use Smokepowder in Baldur’s Gate 3 in order to clear out a cave-in.
As you progress through the story of Baldur’s Gate 3, you will come across situations that can be resolved by using an item. A good example of this is during Act 1 when you need to track down some Smokepower Satchels. Smokepowder is necessary to save True Soul Nere in Grymforge as part of your journey through the Underdark. Upon saving him, he’ll give you a quest called Travel through the Underdark. True Soul Nere is trapped in a collapsed tunnel, and that’s where Smokepowder comes into play. To get it, follow the instructions below.
Baldur’s Gate 3: How to Win the Laff Riot at the Elfsong Tavern
With this guide, Baldur’s Gate 3 players will learn what dialogue options will win them the Laff Riot contest in the Elfsong Tavern.
How to get Smokepowder
To obtain Smokepowder, you’ll have to speak with a gnome named Philomeen and persuade her to give it to you. She is somewhat of a hassle to get to, so here is exactly how to find her:
- Starting from the boat you arrived on at the dock, make your way northeast to an iron double door.
- Lockpick the iron double door and enter the tunnel.
- Go down the tunnel. Eventually you’ll hit a dead end, but you can open a passage. To do so, look for a lever that is hidden in the corner of the room. If you have high enough Perception skills, you can also just find a button to the right of the door that will open it.
- Keep going down the tunnel. You’ll encounter some enemies here, so just take kill them and take the first turn left, up the stairs.
- Jump over the gap and you’ll see a door. It leads to Philomeen’s chamber. Lockpick it and you’ll find Philomeen inside.
- Speak with Philomeen. You’ll need to pass a persuasion check to make her give you the Smokepowder Satchels.
After you’ve gotten the Smokepowder, you’ll need to go back to the way you came from and use it to blow up the cave-in.
How to use Smokepowder
- Go northwest from the dock until you see the cave-in.
- Throw the Smokepowder just like any other inventory item at the cave-in.
- Wait for everyone to get away from the cave-in, as initiative is rolled if you damage anybody.
- Set the explosive powder on fire. To do so, use a Fire Bolt, Fire Arrows, or a Produce Flame cantrip.
Now the Smokepowder will blow up the cave-in, and you’ll be able to rescue True Soul Nere. Next, you’ll need to get a Broken Moonlantern from Nere. You can either take it from him peacefully or fight him and loot his body for it.