- Baldur’s Gate 3 fans have played the game in absurd ways, like completing it as a cat using the Druid’s Wild Shape ability.
- The cat-only run had challenges, but the player used ingenuity and exploits to recruit allies and defeat tough bosses like Raphael.
- Players have also added mods to the game, created celebrity characters, and even speedrun the game in under 20 minutes.
One gamer recently played through Baldur’s Gate 3 as a cat. Using the Druid’s Wild Shape, this fan went through all of Baldur’s Gate 3 using the different feline forms Druids can take whenever possible.
A massive CRPG with nearly endless possibilities, it is no surprise that Baldur’s Gate 3 fans have played the game in some truly absurd and hilarious ways. Players have created celebrities like Gordon Ramsay in Baldur’s Gate 3, modded the game to add lightsabers, and even speedrun the hours-long game in less than 20 minutes.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Player Sets Incredible New Speedrun Record
The speedrunning community celebrates a new Baldur’s Gate 3 speedrun world record marking a major milestone in the efforts to quickly beat the game.
However, one Baldur’s Gate 3 player recently beat the game with a truly unique challenge in place. Strategy game enthusiast and content creator Proxy Gate Tactician decided to play through all of Baldur’s Gate 3 as a cat. His playthrough had one rule: whenever possible, he had to use his Druid’s Wild Shape ability to take a cat form, be it the normal house cat, panther, or saber-toothed tiger, with the only exceptions being when he was forced out of his Wild Shape due to damage or cutscenes, or while in camp so he could use certain game functions. Proxy documented some highlights of his cat-only run in a Reddit post but also made a hilarious video chronicling his adventure.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Cat-Only Run Fun Facts
- Some events require characters to drop out of Wild Shape, making a full cat run technically impossible, but there are special cutscenes and dialogue specific to Wild Shaped characters.
- Most conversations don’t work, but Wild Shaped characters can speak with animals, Myconids, and certain Undead.
- Raphael’s conversations don’t trigger correctly as a cat, meaning players can kill him in the Mountain Pass without a fight.
- Cat form Druids only take 1 damage from falling, no matter the height.
- Feats like Alert and Tavern Brawler work with a Druid’s Wild Shape forms in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- The cat form’s Meow ability can lure enemies away to incredible distances.
The early part of Proxy’s run required no small amount of ingenuity. Without the ability to talk to most characters outside Shadowheart, he largely had to rely on Withers to recruit Baldur’s Gate 3 hirelings – all of whom he reclassed into Druids so they could join his clowder of cats. Using stealth, explosives, and liberal use of the Meow ability, he was able to conquer challenging battles throughout the game, including the hectic Goblin Camp and Moonrise Towers.
Fans got a kick out of Proxy’s cat-only run. They were especially charmed by the fact he found a way to kill Raphael near the end of Act 1 – a feat only accomplished by using certain exploits in Baldur’s Gate 3 – especially given his favorite poem, “The Mouse Smiled Brightly,” which features a feline in it. The fan-favorite half-devil may have one of the toughest boss fights in Baldur’s Gate 3, but that couldn’t save him from this clever cat’s claws.
Baldur’s Gate 3
Baldur’s Gate 3 is a Dungeons and Dragons inspired RPG developed and published by Larian Studios. Featuring both a single player and cooperative element, players create their character by selecting a starting class, take on quests, level up, and engage in turn-based combat using the D&D 5th edition rule set.
- Baldur’s Gate
- August 3, 2023
- How Long To Beat
- 30 Hours