Since Baldur’s Gate 3 offers highly variable gameplay, almost any NPC you encounter can become your friend or foe, and Ogres are no exception. Having first met the trio of big guys in Blighted Village in Act 1, you will most likely want to kill them to continue on your way to Goblin Camp. This decision will reward you with a rare item, but this path is not the most profitable.
Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Warlock Class Build
The Best Baldur’s Gate 3 Warlock build relies on the Great Old One for powers that turn the tide of a fight while empowering Eldritch Blast.
On the other hand, you can hire Ogres by paying them quite a lot of money in exchange for one-time help in battle. However, you shouldn’t waste your time on trifles because you can get everything at once without spending a single coin.
Should You Kill Or Recruit Ogres in BG3?
Depending on your playing style, current needs, or spontaneous desires, you can do the following:
- The first way is to kill the Ogres. This option involves creating a good strategy since the strength of your team in Act 1 is low. However, having succeeded in killing these monsters, you can search their corpses and get Lump’s Headpiece. This headdress increases the Intelligence of the character wearing it to 17. It can be a good boost for some characters in the early game stages.
- The second option is to hire Ogres using a successful Deception, Persuasion, or Intimidate check. This option will allow you to obtain an Ogre Horn, which can be used to summon a Lump team for one battle. But you will have to pay them 500-1000 Gold.
- The third way is to fool the Ogres twice. You can use them in battle, don’t pay them, and then kill them to take the Lump’s Headpiece after you become stronger.
How to Get Past The Gnarled Door in Baldur’s Gate 3
If you’re wondering how to get past the Gnarled Door in Baldur’s Gate 3, you’ve come to the right place.
How To Kill Ogres
Although killing Ogres is not the most profitable solution, it is the fastest. Approaching the Ogres hut, you should use stealth to climb to the upper floors of the semi-ruined house. Ideally, all of your characters capable of using ranged attacks should climb to the top floor or walls of the building, leaving some space for maneuver. One tank character must stay below and hold the door so that the Ogres do not escape.
Starting an attack on the Ogres, deal damage, and then use the move action to move a little to the side. The ogres will throw barrels at you and can knock you out of your positions, but it is relatively easy to dodge. This way, you will quickly kill all three and be able to take their items, including Lump’s Headpiece.
How To Recruit Ogres
If you decide to talk to Ogres, they will first want to kill you and eat you. You should save the game because you must succeed in several checks to reach an agreement. First, succeed on a DC 10 Deception or Intimidation check so that the Ogres begin to take you for interlocutors and not for lunch. A short dialogue follows, after which you can recruit Ogres by choosing one of the options:
- You can offer 500 Gold upfront for the Lump’s company so that they can help you in your next battle. They will agree to help, and you will receive the Ogre Horn. You can only use it once in Act 1, after which you will lose this item, and the Ogres will leave you forever.
- The second method is successful Deception, Persuasion, or Intimidate checks with a DC of 20. It is where you need to save the game, since getting 20 in Act 1 is hard. But if everything goes smoothly, the Ogres will give you the Ogre Horn: on pain of death, in exchange for corpses after a joint battle or for 1000 Gold they will receive after the victory.
Among all the options, you should make every effort to succeed in the Deception check, since this option brings players to the third way to deal with Ogres.
Baldur’s Gate 3: How to Deal Non-Lethal Damage
Learn how to deal non-lethal damage in Baldur’s Gate 3.
The Best Option to Choose
Once you deceived the Ogres gang and received the Ogre Horn in exchange for the promise of 1000 Gold, you can hit the road. Find a problematic enemy, save your game, and use Ogre Horn. As agreed, the Ogres will help you with this battle, but they will ask for the promised reward after the victory.
At this point, you should once again promise the Ogres 1000 Gold, but only after they help you again. A successful Deception check with a DC of 20 will convince the Ogres of your honesty. They will leave, but the Ogre Horn will remain with you. From now on, you only need to save this item and not use it until Act 2.
Although it seems like you will never see these guys again, as always, Larian Studios has thought of everything to the smallest detail. During one of the Long Rests, Ogres will come to demand a debt, but unfortunately for them, they did not become stronger. Of course, you can return the money and go your separate ways peacefully. But since your group has become much more powerful, you can easily kill Lump’s company and take his Headpiece. Thus, thanks to only the 2 success Deception checks, you will receive powerful allies at the beginning of the game and will be able to pick up a valuable item. And the best part is that everything is completely free.