For three decades, Charles Martinet was the official voice of Mario across Nintendo’s platforms. Although Martinet retired from the role in 2023, he still has a great deal of appreciation for his former alter ego.
Martinet recently took part in a Q&A session on the Nintendo Today app (via GamesRadar), and he reiterated the connection he felt to Mario as well as his desire to be more like the character he became synonymous with.
“Everything about Mario is someone I want to be like,” said Martinet. “Kind, passionate, always optimistic, facing adversity with a ‘let’s-a go!’ [These are] the sort of characteristics I think the whole world needs more of, and it’s certainly who I want to be as a man and as a human being.”
Earlier this month, Martinet spoke about his “joyful” approach to playing Mario, as well as his confession that he didn’t know much about video games when he applied for the role.
“I was simply told to start talking, and when you run out of things to say, that’s your audition,” said Martinet. “I thought to myself that I’ll do something much more silly and fun. I didn’t know anything about video games, so I just made things up about food and started talking.”
Martinet has also shared his favorite Mario collectible, which was a custom piece given to him by a fan. Although Martinet is no longer lending his voice to Mario, he did have a small role in The Super Mario Bros. Movie as the father of Mario and Luigi. It’s unknown if Martinet will reprise that part for the upcoming sequel, The Super Mario Galaxy Movie. That film will be released on April 1.

