- Valheim’s early access period is expected to continue until at least January 2025, indicating ongoing development and updates.
- PC players have access to community mods to enhance their gameplay experience, while console players may not have the same luxury.
- Major content updates in Valheim often require players to restart their world, which can be time-consuming, and the multiplayer activity has decreased compared to the game’s initial popularity.
Valheim has been in early access since 2021 on PC, and 2023 on Xbox consoles. The Steam store page for Valheim claims that there will be ongoing development for Valheim until January 2025 at the very least. While there is currently no confirmed release date for Valheim, it’s fair to expect the game to finish its early access period sometime in 2025 in light of this information.
Valheim’s Steam page also claims that all the core mechanics and foundational changes planned for Valheim have already been implemented. The remaining changes are said to be mostly minor content updates, balancing patches, and bug fixes. With this in mind, gamers who are already interested in Valheim should consider whether they want to play the game in its current state or wait until its full release.
Valheim Fans Should Keep Tabs on Bellwright
Bellwright is a Valheim-esque crafting and survival game that looks to be bringing some fresh ideas and mechanics to the genre.
The Pros and Cons of Playing Valheim in Early Access
- Pre-test and provide feedback on upcoming updates
- Access to community mods on PC
- Multiplayer is fully functional
- Valheim is currently offered at a discounted price due to being in early access
One of the biggest reasons why players may want to play Valheim during its early access is to pre-test upcoming updates to provide feedback that will help shape the game’s ongoing development. This is currently available to anyone who owns the game on PC through Steam.
Another benefit to playing the game in its early access state is that there are already plenty of unofficial community mods available for Valheim on PC. Considering that there will allegedly be no more major overhauls or core mechanics being added to Valheim, players who aren’t fully satisfied with the current state of the game can generally use mods to address this. However, this is a luxury that only PC players have, at least for the time being.
Whether Valheim will offer integrated mod support for console players in the future is uncertain.
- Most major content updates require players to restart their world
- Decreased multiplayer activity
Some of the largest changes from Valheim’s content updates throughout early access have been focused on redesigning biomes. This has been great considering that some of these biomes felt rather unfinished before getting updated. However, there is a negative side effect to these kinds of updates.
The main downside to Valheim’s focus on updating biomes in the game is that players often have to start a new world or reset their multiplayer server to experience the newest content fully. Even though players can carry their character and inventory in Valheim over to separate worlds, starting a new world means that players will have to abandon any structures they have built and start their new base from scratch. While Valheim’s building mechanics are relatively enjoyable, building a new base for every update can be quite time-consuming in hindsight. Consequently, players who want to avoid the cycle of frequently restarting might want to wait for the game’s full release to play.
Another factor that might influence players to hold off on playing Valheim until its full release is the decrease in multiplayer activity. While Valheim’s online multiplayer is fully functional for both public and private servers, the game is currently experiencing a significantly low player count, according to Steam Charts.
- Valheim’s current peak player count: 54,453 (December 13 2023-January 13 2024)
- Valheim’s lowest peak player count: 24,376 (August 2022)
- Valheim’s highest peak player count: 498,478 (February 2021)
While Valheim’s peak player count from the past 30 days is still arguably high, it’s nowhere near the height of the game’s popularity from when it first launched in early access. It’s also worth noting that these metrics only reflect Valheim’s player count on Steam, not including console players. This ultimately won’t be a problem for solo players or groups of friends, but it’s still something to consider for players who intend to play on public servers.
- February 2, 2021
- Iron Gate AB
- Sandbox , Survival
- How Long To Beat
- 75 Hours
- X|S Enhanced
- File Size Xbox Series
- 1 GB (November 2023)
- Platforms That Support Crossplay
- PC, Xbox One & Xbox Series X|S
- Steam User Rating
- 95% (November 3, 2023)