- Atlus is reportedly working on a remake of Persona 1, in addition to the recently leaked Persona 2 and 4 remakes.
- A well-known insider has also teased three more unannounced Shin Megami Tensei projects: a Netflix-exclusive game, an SMT5-related spin-off, and a remaster of a PS2 SMT RPG.
- Since Nocturne was already remastered in 2021, SMT: Digital Devil Survivor is the likeliest candidate for another such rerelease.
A remake of the original Persona game is in the works, according to an established Atlus insider. The same source has also teased three other unannounced games from the Persona developer that are yet to be announced, including a mysterious Netflix project.
Atlus insider Midori took to Twitter on February 6 to claim that the Sega-owned studio is currently working on the remakes of Persona 2 and Persona 4. Responding to a question from one of their followers, the leaker said both of those projects currently “exist at Atlus.”
Persona 3 Reload Fans Aren’t Happy With Its DLC
While Persona 3 Reload is currently enjoying historic success, some of its fans are less than happy with a portion of its DLC.
A day later, Midori posted a follow-up that saw them claim the original Persona game is also set to be treated to a remake, implying Atlus is currently working on no fewer than three reimaginings of the older entries from the popular series. Elaborating on that point, the insider said that not all of those games will be remade in the style of Persona 3 Reload. Taking that statement at face value, its likeliest interpretation is that only Persona 4 will receive the Reload treatment. For clarity, Persona 1 and the Persona 2 duology lacked many later series staples, such as time management and social links, making it impossible for them to receive Reload-style remakes without being completely redesigned.
Asked about the status of the Shin Megami Tensei series, which spawned Persona, Midori claimed that Atlus is presently working on an SMT game for Netflix, albeit without clarifying whether the title in question is a rerelease or an original project. The insider also said that a remaster of a PS2-era SMT entry is in the pipeline. Sony’s sixth-generation console has three (mainline) games that fit that description, but one of them has already received a remaster in 2021 in the form of the critically acclaimed SMT3 Nocturne HD. That only leaves Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga and its sequel as potential rerelease candidates. Chronologically, Atlus would plausibly favor remastering the former before the latter.
Midori’s latest tweet also saw them tease a title that is “connected” to the Switch-exclusive Shin Megami Tensei 5. This particular game is the only one from the newly listed bunch that was already mentioned by the insider in the past. Specifically, Midori’s November 2023 report that narrowed down the Persona 6 release window also leaked the existence of the SMT5 project, describing it as a spin-off.
Upcoming Atlus Games Rumor Roundup
- Persona 1 remake (newly leaked)
- Persona 2 remake
- Persona 4 remake
- Persona “Asa” (codename)
- A party-based game for PC and mobile that was possibly scrapped
- A remaster of a Shin Megami Tensei PS2 game (newly leaked)
- Nocturne got a remaster in 2021, which only leaves SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 as prospective candidates among the mainline games
- An SMT game for Netflix (newly leaked)
- An SMT5 spin-off
Time will tell whether this unofficial info pans out, but Midori’s track record with Atlus leaks is an encouraging sign for fans hoping to revisit older SMT and Persona games in the future. Since Atlus is still a fairly small company by modern game development standards, it is plausible that the majority of its currently rumored projects are still in pre-production and hence won’t be going gold anytime soon, assuming they exist in the first place.
Persona is an RPG franchise developed and published by Atlus, spun off from its larger Megami Tensei franchise. Originally releasing in 1996 under the name Revelations: Persona, the series typically follows a core group of high school students who have access to Personas, physical manifestations of a person’s psyche and subconscious, to do battle in combat. Newer games in the franchise, starting with Persona 3, have introduced the idea of Social Links, which lets players further strengthen and evolve Personas based on time spent with their owners outside of dungeons.
- Video Game(s)
- Persona 2: Innocent Sin , Persona 2: Eternal Punishment , Persona 3 , Persona 3: FES , Persona 3 Portable , Persona 3 Reload , Persona 4 , Persona 4 Golden , Persona 4 Arena , Persona 4 Arena Ultimax , Persona 4: Dancing All Night , Persona 5 , Persona 5 Royal , Persona 5 Strikers , Persona 5 Tactica , Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth , Persona Q2 , Revelations: Persona
- Creation Year