Sony releases a brand-new system update that PlayStation 5 users can download for their consoles right now.
- Sony released a new PS5 system update that brings substantial changes to parties and adds features like a party history list.
- The update also includes improvements to the PULSE Explore wireless earbuds, such as sound equalizer and sidetone features.
- Along with the new features, the update focuses on system performance and stability, as well as improving messages and usability on some screens.
Sony has released a brand-new PlayStation 5 system update that users can download for their consoles right now. Sony releases new PS5 updates on a regular basis. Most of the time, the new PS5 system updates are nothing to write home about, with Sony offering vague patch notes about how they improve stability and performance. Other times, the PS5 system updates are a little more substantial.
For instance, some PS5 system updates have added new features or have revamped existing ones. There was one big PS5 system update that added Dolby Atmos support and made some big changes to how parties work on the console. The latest PS5 system update is another substantial one, and it too makes some changes to parties.
Sony Working on Matchmaking System Based on Game Session Lengths
Sony files patent for a new multiplayer matchmaking system that uses game session length to match players with similar play times.
PS5 Version 24.01-08.60.00 adds a new feature to Parties where players can now see a list of parties they’ve joined in the past, with the option of restarting one by selecting it from the Recent list. The device software for the PULSE Explore wireless earbuds has also been updated, giving users the option to use the sound equalizer and sidetone features. It will also be easier for users to switch between their PC and PS5 when using the PULSE Explore wireless earbuds thanks to a new notification that will pop up when they’re near the PS5. The usual system software performance and stability improvements are also a part of the latest PS5 system update.
On top of all this, the new PS5 system update has “improved the messages and usability on some screens.” This has been a common trend with PS5 system updates as well, and so it seems like fans can expect to see that in patch notes regularly moving forward.
Of course, whenever a PS5 system update happens, fans always wonder when the system will get dynamic themes. PS5 dynamic themes have topped wish lists for years now, but Sony hasn’t given any indication that it plans on adding them to the new console. Dynamic themes were hugely popular on PS4, and so it makes sense that PS5 gamers would want something similar, though there’s no guarantee it will ever happen. The jury is still out on whether future PS5 updates will add dynamic themes or not, but fans can expect future updates for the console regardless.
PS5 Update Patch Notes
- We’ve added new features in Parties.
- In the Parties tab, you can now see the list of parties you’ve joined in the past. You can easily restart a party just by selecting it from the Recent list.
- We’ve updated the device software for the PULSE Explore wireless earbuds.
- You can now use the sound equalizer feature.
- You can now use the sidetone feature, which makes it easier for you to hear your own voice in voice chats.
- When you have a PULSE Explore wireless earbuds nearby, a notification will now appear to let you connect to them quickly. You can now easily switch the connection from your PC to your PS5 through this notification.
- We’ve improved system software performance and stability.
- We’ve improved the messages and usability on some screens.
- Original Release Date
- November 12, 2020
- Original MSRP (USD)
- Disc Edition: $499.99; Digital Edition: $399.99
- Disc Edition: 9.9 LBS; Digital Edition: 8.6 LBS