- Catching rare Pokemon in Pokemon GO can be more difficult than in the mainline games due to the requirement of meeting specific in-game and real-life conditions.
- Factors such as location, climate, time, and trainer level can affect spawns in Pokemon GO.
- Some of the rarest Pokemon in Pokemon GO include Sinnoh’s Lake Guardians, Volcarona, and Unown. Players can acquire them through various methods such as finding them in the wild, hatching eggs, or participating in special raid events.
Part of the charm of playing Pokemon games is catching rare monsters, some of which require a variety of obscure techniques to be discovered. Pokemon GO is no exception, with many elusive Pokemon players can only encounter when certain in-game and real-life conditions are met. As such, one could argue that catching the rarest critters in Pokemon GO can be more difficult than in the mainline games.
Pokemon GO was released back in 2016, and it continues to be successful and popular mostly due to its innovative alternative reality-based gameplay. The game also consistently releases new updates and events, like the Pokemon GO January 2024 Community Day Classic, that give players increased drop rates for a featured Pokemon, as well as items. Pokemon GO has also acquired a hardcore player base who are dedicated to catching them all, especially the rare Pokemon.
Pokemon GO Players Are Getting Fed Up With 1 Egg Type
Pokemon GO players are complaining about not getting sweet Pokemon from all the walking they have to hatch a particular type of Egg.
How to Get the Rarest Pokemon in Pokemon GO
Various factors affect a critter’s rarity in Pokemon GO:
- Location and Climate: Pokemon in GO tend to reside in their natural habitats. So, trainers are more likely to find Water Pokemon when it’s raining or if they live near a body of water. There are also ‘mons that can only be found in certain parts of the world.
- Time: Some rare Pokemon can be easier to acquire during in-game events, like Special Raid Events and Community Days.
- Trainer Level: Many players have noticed that the higher one’s trainer level is, the wider the spawn pool of the Pokemon they can encounter.
Here are some of the rarest Pokemon in GO and how players can get them.
Sinnoh’s Lake Guardians
The Legendary Pokemon Azelf, Mesprit, and Uxie can be found in the wild, but they have very low spawn rates. Each critter is also region-restricted. Azelf can only be found in the Americas and Greenland. Mesprit is in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) region, while Uxie can be acquired in the Asia and Pacific regions. Players can try their luck by trying to find their regional Lake Guardian in the wild or wait for another Azelf, Mesprit, and Uxie Raid. For ones outside their region, however, they’ll need to trade with other trainers or look out for Special raid events.
This Pokemon is especially hard to get because players need to get its pre-evolution, Larvesta, which can only be acquired through egg hatching. To add salt to the wound, evolving it to a Volcarona requires 400 Larvesta candies. As such, players need to hatch multiple Larvestas and set the ‘mon as their buddy to get candies. Other ‘mons can also hatch from eggs, of course, so it may take even the most dedicated trainer a long time and plenty of steps before they can evolve their Larvesta into Volcarona.
These monsters are notoriously difficult to find in GO. They have low spawn rates in the wild. As such, players should do their best to increase their chances of capturing them by using Ultraballs and Golden Razz Berries. Catching one Unown is only the start, as this Pokemon has 28 forms. Players should also be on the lookout for events featuring increased spawn rates for this Pokemon if they want to complete their collection faster.
These three groups of Pokemon are already difficult to catch in their base forms, so trainers can only imagine how hard it is to acquire their shiny versions. There are also costumed versions of critters, like Pikachu Libre, that can only be obtained after achieving difficult tasks like reaching Rank 24 in the PVP Pokemon GO Battle League. Some Pokemon, like the different Rotom variations, had short release windows during events. Therefore, they can only be acquired via trading or another event, if they ever appear in one again.
- July 6, 2016
- Augmented Reality
- Online Multiplayer