- World of Warcraft’s latest update, Seeds of Renewal, features an adorable and unprecedented kiss between iconic characters Tyrande and Malfurion.
- This kiss marks the first on-screen kiss in 20 years of World of Warcraft’s cinematic history, setting a new milestone for the game.
- The cinematic’s natural and well-animated embrace showcases the growth of World of Warcraft’s cinematic technology and has left fans impressed and charmed.
World of Warcraft just had its first in-game kiss in one of the Dragonflight epilogue cinematics. This adorable and unprecedented moment is shared between two iconic World of Warcraft characters, and was added as a part of the Seeds of Renewal update.
Warning: Spoilers for Dragonflight: Seeds of Renewal below.
Patch 10.2.5, Seeds of Renewal, just went live in World of Warcraft worldwide. This new content update added worldwide Dragonriding, new character customizations, some quality-of-life updates, and several epilogues to the story of Dragonflight.
World of Warcraft Highlights Quality-of-Life Improvements in Patch 10.2.5
World of Warcraft adds some small but impactful new quality-of-life improvements to the game in Patch 10.2.5, Seeds of Renewal.
One of these epilogues was centered around Bel’ameth – the new Night Elf village in World of Warcraft located under Amirdrassil, east of the Dragon Isles – and featured the return of a beloved character. During the accompanying cinematic, Tyrande Whisperwind and Shandris Feathermoon are surprised by Malfurion Stormrage, the former’s husband and the latter’s adopted father. Tyrande leaps into Malfurion’s arms in a wonderful embrace, with the two Night Elf leaders sharing a loving kiss. While fans have seen a fair number of hugs in the last few years, this stunning and heartwarming animation marks the first on-screen kiss in World of Warcraft’s 20 years of cinematic history.
Hugs and Kisses in World of Warcraft History
- Jaina and her mother Katelyn Proudmoore after the latter rescues her daughter from Thros, the Blighted Lands, during Battle for Azeroth in 2018.
- Pelagos and Keia when the former decides to become the new Arbiter during Shadowlands in 2021.
- Tyrande and Malfurion after planting Amirdrassil’s seed in Dragonflight, and again when he exchanged places with Ysera.
- Chromie and Nozdormu after the Dawn of the Infinite megadungeon.
- Merithra when her mother Ysera returns from the Shadowlands, and again before she departs, allowing Malfurion to return.
- Ysera and Alexstrasza during the same cinematic.
- Tyrande and Malfurion share World of Warcraft’s first kiss in Dragonflight’s epilogue.
As if this heartfelt moment wasn’t enough, the scene with Shandris immediately afterward is equally adorable. She is given a moment to stop worrying about the Night Elves’ future in World of Warcraft and embrace both of her parents, who are now together again as a family for the first time since the beginning of Dragonflight.
Players were both charmed and impressed by this incredible cinematic. Animating a kiss is not an easy task, but World of Warcraft cinematic narrative director Terran Gregory and his team did an incredible job with Tyrande and Malfurion’s touching moment. Fans were floored by how natural the embrace looked, especially considering the accompanying jump and spin. It is no exaggeration to say this cinematic set a new milestone for World of Warcraft, and is a testament to how far its cinematic technology has grown over the last few years. Hopefully, WoW can continue to deliver cinematics and cutscenes of this caliber in The War Within.
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight was developed by Blizzard Entertainment and is the ninth expansion pack for the iconic massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft.
Dragonflight features an overhauled user interface, raises the level cap to 70, and introduces a new race and class.
- November 28, 2022