- WWE 2K24’s Showcase mode will feature 21 matches, celebrating 40 years of WrestleMania.
- The mode will include matches from various eras, pulled from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s.
- While some may be disappointed that the mode doesn’t feature a match from each WrestleMania, it still offers more content than the Showcase modes from the last two years.
It’s been confirmed that WWE 2K24‘s Showcase mode will have 21 matches total. Showcase is one of the WWE 2K franchise’s flagship game modes, and so it’s no surprise that it’s coming back for WWE 2K24. Sometimes Showcase has focused on specific eras in the WWE, while other times the mode has been used to highlight the careers of specific superstars.
A couple of years ago, Rey Mysterio received his own Showcase mode that let fans relive some of the greatest matches from the celebrated luchadore’s career. WWE 2K23, meanwhile, offered a unique twist on the Showcase mode. The mode itself was themed after John Cena, but instead of highlighting his greatest triumphs, the mode put players in the shoes of wrestlers that defeated Cena in various high profile matches.
WWE 2K24 Confirms Surprise Guest Character
The latest WWE 2K24 trailer reveals that a legendary special guest from WrestleMania’s early days is being included as a playable character.
WWE 2K24 isn’t using its Showcase mode to feature any one superstar, but is instead all about celebrating 40 years of WrestleMania. As such, the mode will feature some of the biggest matches in WrestleMania history. A full list of the available WWE 2K24 Showcase matches is not available at the time of this writing, but it has been confirmed that the mode will feature 21 matches pulled from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s. This was revealed by WWE 2K24 developer Bryan Williams in an interview with WCCFTech.
WWE 2K24 Confirmed Showcase Matches
- Intercontinental Championship Match: Randy Savage (c) w/ Miss Elizabeth vs. Ricky Steamboat w/ George Steele (WrestleMania 3)
- WWF Championship Match: Hulk Hogan (c) vs. Andre the Giant w/ Bobby Heenan (WrestleMania 3)
- Intercontinental Championship Match: The Ultimate Warrior (c) vs. Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan (WrestleMania 5)
- WWF and Intercontinental Championship Match: Hulk Hogan (WWF Champion) vs. The Ultimate Warrior (Intercontinental Champion) (WrestleMania 6)
- Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship: Razor Ramon (c) vs. Shawn Michaels w/ Diesel (WrestleMania 10)
- Submission Match: Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (WrestleMania 13)
- Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker (WrestleMania 25)
- WWE SmackDown Women’s Championship Match: Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Rhea Ripley (WrestleMania 39 – Night One)
- WWE Raw Women’s Championship Match: Bianca Belair (c) vs. Asuka (WrestleMania 39 – Night Two)
- Undisputed WWE Universal Championship Match: Roman Reigns (c) w/ Paul Heyman and Solo Sikoa vs. Cody Rhodes
- 11 matches yet to be determined
With WWE 2K24 even having a special 40 Years of WrestleMania edition, some may be scratching their heads about why the mode doesn’t feature one match from each WrestleMania. It seems like a missed opportunity. However, there are a couple of possible explanations as to why this is. For one, WWE 2K24‘s 21 Showcase Matches is more than the 12 matches for the Rey Mysterio Showcase and the 14 matches for the John Cena Showcase, so it’s already considerably more content than fans have gotten from the mode in the last two years. Secondly, the WWE 2K franchise has already had a similar WrestleMania-themed Showcase mode in a previous game.
10 years ago, WWE 2K14 featured a WrestleMania-themed Showcase mode that not only featured at least one match from each WrestleMania, and in some cases, multiple matches from the same WrestleMania. While some may be disappointed that WWE 2K24 isn’t going all-out and featuring one match from each WrestleMania, this way there should be less overlap, though there are definitely some matches being repeated in this year’s Showcase.
In the same interview, it was also stressed that there would be “a lot more female representation” in WWE 2K24 compared to WWE 2K14. In fact, WWE 2K14 didn’t have a single women’s match in its entire lineup. With WWE 2K24 set to launch on March 8, fans should be treated to a full rundown of all 21 Showcase matches in the relatively near future.
- March 8, 2024
- T For Teen Due To Blood, Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence
Source: The SmackDown Hotel