Xbox could be hiding a surprise announcement at Gamescom 2026, according to a reliable insider. The company is reportedly planning to reveal an unexpected new entry in a series during Gamescom Opening Night Live, which airs August 25. Although it’s not exactly clear what game Xbox could be announcing at this event, that hasn’t stopped fans from speculating on what long-forgotten franchise might be getting a revival.
The year has already seen major shake-ups at Xbox, with new CEO Asha Sharma recommitting to Xbox exclusivity and its major IPs. Recently, the CEO shared that she got to experience The Elder Scrolls 6 while teasing the game’s subtitle, sending fans into a frenzy over Bethesda’s highly anticipated RPG. Other major Xbox franchises like Fallout, Fable, and Gears of War are all getting releases in the near future, and another unexpected franchise is allegedly set to join this lineup.
Xbox Reportedly Announcing an Unexpected Sequel at Gamescom
According to a Patreon post from notable Xbox insider Jez Corden, Xbox is planning to unveil a new entry in an unexpected franchise at Gamescom. However, the details surrounding what game this could be are vague. Early fan reactions immediately jumped to long-dead Xbox-owned franchises like Rare’s Banjo-Kazooie or Blizzard’s StarCraft, with some hopeful fans even anticipating a re-reveal of The Elder Scrolls 6.
This information was corroborated by fellow leaker NateTheHate on Twitter, who provided more context for which game franchises could be the recipient of the announcement. According to Nate, the game is not related to Banjo-Kazooie, StarCraft, or Wolfenstein, and hasn’t been previously announced, ruling out The Elder Scrolls 6 or the Fallout 3 and New Vegas remasters. The game is said to be an entry in a somewhat modern, existing franchise, leading fans to suggest some pretty good potential options, such as:
- Sequel to Ryse: Son of Rome
- New Ori game
- Quantum Break sequel
- New Killer Instinct
- The Evil Within 3
Furthermore, NateTheHate clarifies that this mystery game is not being developed by an Xbox-owned studio, which could point towards The Evil Within 3 since developer Tango Gameworks is now owned by Krafton, not Microsoft. A sequel to Quantum Break from Remedy could be in the cards as well, given that Control Resonant is launching next month, and Remedy’s next game is still unknown. Ori developer Moon Studios also has No Rest for the Wicked coming out of early access in October, so it’s possible a third Ori game could be the studio’s next project.
Aside from this rumored Xbox announcement, Gamescom Opening Night Live is set to feature some other exciting reveals. So far, the upcoming Songs of the Past DLC for The Witcher 3 will be shown during this event, and more information on Resident Evil Veronica is said to be shared during the showcase as well. While still unconfirmed, the recently leaked release date for Assassin’s Creed Hexe suggests that it could be revealed at Gamescom, as could Hogwarts Legacy 2, based on WB Games’ recent confirmation of the game’s development progress.
Source: Insider Gaming









